How AI & IoT Is Driving Intelligence & Automation in Smart Homes
AI-powered and IoT-enabled applications like personalized and predictive automation along with predictive maintenance will enhance the user experience and add value to the smart homes by making life more secure, comfortable, convenient, and safe.
AI and IoT are the leading factors in the growth of smart home markets. Smart living with automation and integrated AI-IoT is no longer considered as a luxury as home automation tools have become more affordable. Smart home control can be enabled either by local hardware or by a cloud-based intelligence.
Quick facts on Smart Home Market
- According to IDC, the global market for smart home devices is expected a 26.9% growth in 2019 amounting to 832.7 million shipments and sustained growth of 16.9% (CAGR) is expected over the forecast period of 2019-2023.
- According to Statista, the revenue generated by the smart home market is the US $ 73,719 million in 2019. United States stands to be the frontrunner in generating more revenues, i.e., US $ 23,577 million in 2019.
AI in Smart Homes
The application of AI in managing the smart home infrastructure helps in gathering data from the home automation devices, predict user behavior, provide maintenance data, help enhance data security and privacy. With its capability of performing certain tasks automatically for the user, its presence in home automation allows us to control our home appliances, secure our homes, etc. by limiting the need for human involvement.
This automation majorly depends on the data that the devices have collected and has been trained on using a variety of machine learning and deep learning algorithms. The connected devices of smart homes provide the data and the AI learns from that data to perform certain tasks without human intervention. For example, Nest Thermostats from Nest Labs learn automatically from its customers’ behavior on how it is operated and then uses that information to automatically set the temperatures when somebody is home or go energy efficient when nobody is home.
Data Exchange levels within an AI & IoT powered Smart Homes
IoT in Smart Homes
IoT enables connected devices, vehicles, buildings, and other objects – which are embedded with software, sensors, and the internet – to communicate with each other and can either be controlled remotely or can transfer the information to a remote user with AI. These connected devices can monitor the status of any device connected under the same network and provide real-time data with the help of AI.
Key Pointers for any Smart Home System
- Data security and privacy are the major key concerns that any AI and IoT enabled smart home should address as every connected device tends to leave the digital footprints of personal data that needs to be safe and secure.
- Proper integration of AI and IoT enables devices to not just perform more automatically with enhanced functionalities. For instance, the security cameras usually alert threats automatically, but with proper AI integration, they will proactively alert humans to take control of the situation when something goes wrong.
- Interoperability is one key concern that needs to be addressed by any home automation tool. Smart home devices should be made interoperable and new use-cases like energy conservation, diagnostics of appliances, damage prevention during natural disasters, etc can be applied to the same smart devices.
- Better customer support is an integral and important part of any business. People residing in smart homes may encounter a number of challenges within their IoT environment ranging from small troubleshooting to a large data privacy issue. Companies that provide better and good customer service will always stay ahead of the race.
- Integration with voice controls will enable the user to save time, money and ease off certain tedious tasks. Controlling devices and home appliances through voice should be made a priority as providing user-friendly services always yields productive results to the business.
Do you have a smart home product or a platform? Does it have data intelligence capabilities? No? Qualetics, our on-demand Data Intelligence as a Service platform, can help you embed advanced data intelligence capabilities and enhance the capabilities of your smart home product cost-effectively and quickly. To know how Qualetics can empower your smart home product, Book A Demo.